Now in its 8th year the Get2Go Challenge is like the Amazing Race, Treasure Island and Survivor, mixed together with adventure sports including rock climbing, orienteering, kayaking, mountain biking and a little bit of problem solving. Get2Go is organised by OPC and supported by Youthtown, with the help of sports clubs and organisations right across New Zealand and has been designed to encourage a wider participation in outdoor pursuit activities. There are 12 events in the series held in regions around the country spanning as far north as Whangarei and right down to Dunedin. These take the form of one day challenges that are held in Term 3 each year.
In the regional one day events, teams need to navigate between four 60minute long challenges and attempt each in the allotted time. To maximise their score in each task teams will be required to work together, using important team skills such as communication, problem solving, planning and decision making.There is a limited capacity of 24 teams at each regional challenge, with teams taken on a first in first served basis.
Who is the Get2Go for?
The Get2Go Challenge is open to ALL year 9 and 10 students. You DON’T need any special outdoors experience, but you DO need to be ready to give exciting new stuff a go! You can be as social or as competitive as you like.
Teams of 8 represent their school(s) in one of four categories – All Girls, All Boys, Mixed and Mixed Premier (4 girls/4boys). A maximum of two schools may join together to form a team and no prior experience is necessary, so the Get2Go is suitable for all levels of students regardless of their ability. They will need a ‘give it a go’ attitude and be prepared to have a great time playing in the outdoors for a day, regardless of the weather.
The national Get2Go Grand Final is held at the OPC marine base on Great Barrier Island. It is an intense week made up of problem solving activities, a 2-day land and sea expedition, finishing with a full on adventure race. The top team in the Mixed Premiere category from each event is invited to represent their region in the final against the very best adventure teams from around the country.
How much will it cost?
Entry fees for the series events are only $120 per team ($15 per person) if you take advantage of the early-bird entry fee and enter before 12 July. After this date the normal entry fee of $150 per team will apply. Schools may enter two teams initially and may possibly have more if the 24 team places are not filled.
How to register a team
Registering a team(s) for the Get2Go Challenge is super easy!
Just get your team manager (a teacher or parent) to fill in the online registration form (link at the bottom of the page) with all of the important details for your team. We will then email you back confirming your registration has been accepted. If 24 teams have already registered before you then your team will go onto a waitlist as occasionally we have some teams that can’t make it at the last minute.
- All entries into the Get2Go must be made through your school and the selection of students/teams is the schools responsibility.
- Entries are limited to 24 teams on each day and will be taken on a first in, first served basis. Schools may enter up to two teams upfront and more teams if there is room. Please email Darren firstname.lastname@example.org to request more than two teams.
- Completion of the online form does not guarantee a place in the event. The nominated team contact will be notified by email when your entry has been accepted.
- The regional events will generally run between 8.30am and 3.00pm. More details will be sent to your team contact one week before the event.
- Teams will need to arrange their own transport to all of the challenges on the day. At least one adult or teacher will be required to manage each team.
- To be ‘official’ teams must be made up of 8 members from either year 9 or 10 and enter one of four categories – Mixed Premier (4 girls/4 boys), Mixed, Girls, Boys.
- Only teams entered in the Mixed Premier category will be eligible for a place in the Grand Final.
The 2013 Get2Go Series dates are as follows -
- 8 August – Waitakere/North Harbour
- 13 August – Northland
- 15 August – Auckland/Counties Manukau
- 20 August – Waikato
- 22 August – Taranaki
- 27 August – Manawatu
- 29 August – Hawkes Bay
- 9 September – Bay of Plenty
- 11 September – Wellington
- 13 September – Nelson/Tasman
- 16 September – Canterbury
- 18 September – Otago/Southland
To get an idea of what the regional events are like check out TVNZ OnDemand for coverage of the 2012 Canterbury regions event courtesy of The Erin Simpson Show. Here is the URL to the OnDemand link – http://tvnz.co.nz/the-erin-simpson-show/s4-ep117-video-5029100
The coverage is in two parts, starting after 2.00mins and 11.10mins