The Sir Edmund Hillary Outdoor Pursuits Centre is run by a group of committed people in a variety of roles. Our extensive support structure ensures that your instructors have everything they need to make your OPC experience flow as smoothly as possible.
Our instructors work at the Sir Edmund Hillary Outdoor Pursuits Centre because they believe in the value of outdoor education.
They are exceptional people with more than just professional outdoor industry qualifications, technical skills, teaching and education experience and loads of personal experience in the outdoors. They are passionate, inspirational, supportive individuals who are exceptional at transferring the personal development and learning you gain during an OPC programme back into your everyday life.
Sir Edmund Hillary Outdoor Pursuits Centre Company Structure
Lines represent the Designated Management structure.
OPC would not be able to function without the commitment and huge amounts of work that volunteers put in. Volunteering for 35 hours a week gives you free food and board and the chance to ski, climb, paddle, hike to your heart’s content in your weekends. OPC has volunteers from around the globe that become part of the centre’s “culture”.
Part of the deal is that you can volunteer for as long you want; from a minimum of 3 weeks to 6 months. Every year we get people from around the world coming to OPC to experience what our centres have to offer, a great way to meet people to explore the rest of New Zealand with. To be a volunteer at OPC, please note the following:
- You must be over 18
- We are able to offer volunteer positions throughout the year. However, due to the length of time it takes to induct staff to OPC we need a volunteer to be able to offer us a minimum of 3 weeks work.
- Volunteers from overseas must have a valid work visa for New Zealand
- You must have medical and travel insurance
Great Barrier Island Programme Manager
OPC Great Barrier is looking for a talented outdoor educator with skills and experience as a leader of staff for the full time role of Programme Manager.
The role is based at OPC’s Centre on Great Barrier Island with the option of living as part of the OPC and Orama community. This is a family friendly community in beautiful Karaka Bay, on the northeast coast of Great Barrier Island. OPC encourage applications from individuals, couples and families.
The successful applicant will have:
- a strong understanding of educational best practice, environmental education and the use of the outdoors as an educational medium.
- an understanding of the application of the NZ Curriculum to outdoor education, and a good grasp of assessment principles
- ideally at least SKOANZ Guide, NZOIA Rock 1 and Yachting NZ Club Instructor (or higher). Training towards these qualifications will be provided where necessary.
- Strong organisational, leadership and team building skills.
If you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position
Contact Sally Teesdale for an application package at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 30 May 2013
Outdoor Instructors at OPC Tongariro
We are seeking instructors with an enthusiastic commitment to the industry who are willing to take a full and active role at OPC, to start work as soon as possible.
Strong interpersonal skills and a passion for the outdoors are essential characteristics for the role, as is the ability to motivate and inspire young people. Staff should have a commitment to their own personal development, supported by the training staff at OPC and salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
Essential skills and qualities include;
- Ability to deliver high quality courses in a wide range activities and venues independently.
- Will hold AT LEAST one NZOIA level one awards (or equivalent) and an expectation that you are working towards further NZOIA awards.
- A current First Aid Certificate
- Be over 21 years old.
- A full NZ driving license with P endorsement
- Experience of working in the Outdoors with young people.
Please email your Curriculum Vitae with a covering letter to Sally Teesdale at email@example.com or mail it to PO Box 32-482 Devonport, 0744.